Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chocolate Walnut Muffins

I found some muffins recipes from other blogs and think that muffins should be simple to make and the small serving is just nice for my family size. After shortlisted few recipes, I chose the "Chocolate Walnut Muffins" from Grace Kitchen Corner as my first ever homemade muffins. Furthermore, I have a pack of walnuts came all the way from Ireland :D It was given by my sister-in-law who came back to KK for holidays recently.

During preparation, I was confident that my first ever muffins would be VERY OK and the kids would love them. Simple job. After I put in the baking powder, I noticed that the mixture became very thick. Then I realised that actually I put in the WRONG amount of baking powder. The recipe asks for 1 TEASPOON of baking powder and I put in 1 TABLESPOON instead. OMG!!! Straight away my confidence level dropped to zero. I was wondering whether I should continue on to send the mixture to oven or thrown to the rubbish bin. Then I decided to safe my stupid mistake by pu
tting in more milk. I did not even measure how much milk that I put it. I just poured and stopped when the mixtures became not so thick.

What is the used of baking powder? According to Wikipedia, "Baking powder is a dry chemical leavening agent used to increase the volume and lighten the texture of baked goods such as muffins, cakes, scones and North American biscuits."
Oh no! Increase the volume, huh!?

My results?


Hey, not so bad looking, huh? Not only they look OK, they taste good also. I guess the Irish walnuts do make wonders. My boys finished 4 muffins and I gave away 2 for my part-time maid. What an experience and a lesson well learnt too. In future I MUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

Recipes from Grace Kitchen Corner:
(to make 6 muffins)
Unsalted butter 50g
Caster Sugar 70g
Egg 1
Plain flour 85g (sieved plain flour, cocoa powder & baking powder)
Cocoa Powder 15g
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Pinch of Salt
Milk 60g
Walnut 60g (toasted and chopped)

Method:
  1. Beat the butter with sugar until light & pale in color.
  2. Add in egg then pinch of salt, beat until well combine.
  3. Add half of the milk and half of the flour. Using a hand whisk mix until well combine.
  4. Add in remaining milk and flour and mix well.
  5. Combine walnut with the mixture. Fill the muffins cups. Bake at 170c preheated oven for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

MrsBaDaK @ Jocelyn said...

Hey ! your muffins looks DELISH (Jamie Oliver's catch-phrase.. i think)... bake some more and bring to the office leh... you've lots of fans here too bah... hehehe...

Btw, hopefully I've the time to try this out cuz the ingredients & steps are kinda simple... and I love anything chocolate... if I dun hv walnuts, can I substitute it with choco chips ?.. hehehehe...

Btw, keep up the good work !

jjcht said...

ya, u can substitute the walnuts to choc chips or any other nuts you can find in your kitchen. uiseh, macam expert in baking muffins. hahaha.